JAPAN ARCHITECTURE & DESIGN TRIP
We are glad to announce that we are organizing (in association with #ThreeFlaneurs) a bespoke Architecture & Design trip to Japan.
Our tour is designed to introduce you to the unique world of Japanese architecture. From the more traditional aspects to the contemporary, with a clear emphasis on the disciplines of space: Architecture, Urbanism and Landscape.
During our 11-day tour (from 13th to 23rd of July, 2019) we will cover buildings designed by some of the greatest names in world architecture. Join us on this exclusive design tour of Japan covering the key architectural and cultural sights in the cities of Kyoto, Nara, Osaka & Tokyo.
* Check below to see further details of this trip (including a broad itinerary & the key terms & conditions)
13th to 23rd of July, 2019
Tokyo Narita International Airport (NRT) to Tokyo Narita International Airport (NRT)
Please write to us on firstname.lastname@example.org if you would be interested in joining us when we plan another trip to Japan based on a similar itinerary.
11 days, 10 nights
DAY 01 | 13th July 2019 | TOKYO : ORIENTATION
Arrival and General Tour Introduction, Free Evening (see 'Flight Recommendations' in Supplementary Notes below)
DAY 02 | 14th July 2019 | CENTRAL TOKYO
Explore the areas of Yoyogi Park, Omotesando, Roppongi Hills
DAY 03 | 15th July 2019 | CENTRAL TOKYO
Explore the areas of Ueno Park, Asakusa, Sumida, Ginza
DAY 04 | 16th July 2019 | ^ TOKYO : FREE DAY
^ Suggestions: Free day to explore Tokyo further OR do a day-trip to Mt. Fuji
DAY 05 | 17th July 2019 | OUTER TOKYO
Explore the areas of Yokohama, Minato, followed by an evening in Akihabara
DAY 06 | 18th July 2019 | OSAKA
Explore multiple sites in Central Osaka (including some iconic projects designed by Ar. Tadao Ando)
DAY 07 | 19th July 2019 | NARA
Day-trip to see the UNESCO World Heritage Site designated Historic Monuments of Ancient Nara
DAY 08 | 20th July 2019 | CENTRAL KYOTO
Explore multiple sites that are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site designated Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto (including many beautiful Buddhist Temples & Zen Gardens)
DAY 09 | 21st July 2019 | ^ KYOTO : FREE DAY
^ Suggestions: Free day to explore Kyoto further OR do a day-trip to Kanazawa
DAY 10 | 22nd July 2019 | OUTER KYOTO
Explore the Contemporary side of Kyoto, in the evening we will take part in the Gion Festival (that takes place annually in Kyoto and is one of the most famous festivals in Japan)
DAY 11 | 23rd July 2019 | ^ TOKYO
^ Return to Tokyo Narita : End of tour (see 'Flight Recommendations' in Supplementary Notes below)
^ The services of the dedicated Specialist Design+Travel Guide(s) may not be available on these dates - however the group will be briefed with multiple to-do suggestions on the day prior to these Free Day slots.
[ Travelers opting for the alternate shorter 7-day trip offer can End Tour after Day 7 of the above itinerary and fly back home on Day 8 via Osaka Kansai International Airport (KIX). Kindly contact us to know more about this offer.]
• 10 nights Hotel Accommodation in 3-star category Hotels in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto
• Accommodation on twin sharing and on Bed & Breakfast basis
• All internal transport between destinations and to/from included visits/walks using one of the World’s best Public Transit Networks
• 7-day unlimited use Japan Rail Pass (JR Pass) - we will use to travel between cities
• 3-day unlimited use Tokyo Metro Pass
• 1-day unlimited use Osaka Bus Pass
• 2-day unlimited use Kyoto Bus Pass
• Dedicated Specialist Design+Travel Guide(s) with extensive Architectural Knowledge,Design Pedagogy & Travel experience on behalf of the #ThreeFlaneurs to accompany the group at all times according to tour itinerary (^ except on days marked FREE DAY)
• Tickets to multiple Sights and Museums, including the following highlights:
- The Nezu Museum
- National Museum of Western Art
- The Gallery Of Horyuji Treasures
- Sumida Hokusai Museum
- Asakusa Culture and Tourism Center
- Yokohama Port Terminal
- Osaka Castle
- Multiple UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Kyoto (including Tofuku-ji temple, Kinkakuji temple, Ryoanji temple)
Average group size 15
(see 'Meals' in Supplementary Notes below)
3-star category - Budget Hotel (10 nights) - in prime locations in Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto .
At Peregrine & #ThreeFlaneurs we believe single travelers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travelers joining group trips are paired in twin share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip.
• Return international air tickets from source to Narita International Airport (NRT)
• Japan Visa (find more information about this here - https://www.vfsglobal.com/Japan/India/)
• International Travel insurance
• Any Transaction / VAT / GST / Remittance charges
• Additional entry tickets to sights as per itinerary beyond the ones mentioned above
• Tickets for travel/sights to be covered during the free day (Day-trip to Mt. Fuji or Kanazawa etc.)
• Meals not mentioned above (see 'Meals' in Supplementary Notes below)
• Any expense of personal nature i.e. Tips, Mineral Water, Laundry, Telephone Bills, etc.
• Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
While it is our intention to adhere to the route described above, there is a certain amount of flexibility built into the itinerary and on occasion it may be necessary, or desirable to make alterations. This tour is completely based on the use of public transport and may involve medium to long walks and moderate waiting time at Train/Metro/Bus stations while in transit between sights.
A more detailed day-by-day itinerary document highlights the sights to be covered on each day will be shared one week prior to the trip. Additionally, any travel times listed are approximations only and subject to vary due to local circumstances.
The Itinerary can be rescheduled by Peregrine & #ThreeFlaneurs for smooth execution of the trip. Due to unforeseen circumstances such as terrorist activities, social or labor unrest, mechanical or construction failures or difficulties, diseases, local laws, climactic conditions, criminal acts or abnormal conditions or developments outside our control, the Tours/Sightseeing can be altered. No refund will be provided in such cases.
Specialist Design+Travel Guide(s):
• Sahil Latheef is a Charles Correa Gold medalist and a highly qualified architect who has been engaged with architectural academia for over 10 years at various schools (both within India and Internationally). He has worked on several award-winning projects for architectural practices in Doha, London, Mumbai and Singapore before moving to Dubai where he is currently based.
Besides professionally practicing architecture Sahil teaches at the Architecture department, Amity University, Dubai Academic City and is also part of several on going research projects in the region. He has extensively traveled around the world to study architecture and to lead design tours.
• Ekta Idnany is an architect, writer and a culture enthusiast. She has been teaching architecture and design for the past ten years now at various institutions such as KRVIA, BSSA, ISDI as well as being invited as a guest critic at other schools in Mumbai. She has also been running her own design practice in Mumbai, while writing for several magazines such as Architecture: Time Space People, Indian Architect & Builder and Domus. Her design ideology is centered around adding value to the lives of users.
Ekta strongly believes that traveling gives her a better understanding of differences and similarities of human nature across different cultures and that makes her a better designer and writer.
Number of Specialist Design+Travel Guides will depend on actual group size at time of travel
1. Itinerary Pace
This is a very fast paced itinerary which covers lots of ground. While this is great as it allows us to see a huge amount in the available time, it also means some early starts, some long days and less free time (on days not marked as Free Days ^). We feel that if you enter this trip with this knowledge and expectation, you will appreciate even more the variety of locations we are able to include in this itinerary.
To keep costs low, as mentioned above this tour is completely based on the use of public transport and may involve medium to long walks and moderate waiting time at Train/Metro/Bus stations while in transit between sights. We will be using air-conditioned Trains/Metro/Buses during the course of our 11 day tour. The group will be briefed on the STRICT Do’s and Don’ts of using Japan's excellent and extensive Public Transit Network at the start of Day 01 of the trip. Kindly pack light and use easy to carry/ walk-with luggage as we will only be using public using the Public Transit Network to/from Airport and between cities when we will need to carry our own luggage. There are NO private airport/station/luggage transfers included in this trip price offer.
Summer in Japan is hot and humid. The season usually begins in June and lasts through August, but with some planning and strategizing, it is possible to avoid most of the heat and discomfort. Daytime temperatures often going over the 30℃ value in the metropolitan areas and in recent years, summer temperatures have been particularly high, prompting news cautions for people to protect themselves from the heat to avoid heat-related illnesses such as heat strokes. Summer rains are also common, with intense and unpredictable bursts of sudden severe rainfall. It is recommended to carry around an umbrella at all times.
4. Remarks on Hotels
Standard hotel check-in is at 1500 hrs & check out at 1000 hrs across Japan (we will be requesting for early check-in and late check-out, but this is subject to room availability and is not in our control). No hotel bookings have been blocked so far. Rates are subject to change based on availability of rooms and receipt of advance payment. We will share the details of available hotels in 3-star category at the time of confirmation. For your reference with regards to hotel rooms sizes on our tour will be using rooms of the following category: 3-star - Standard Double / Twin room : 10~14 Sq mtrs area.
5. Tour/Package Pricing
Costs are subject to change without notice due to currency fluctuations or any other statutory increases beyond our control. In addition, this package is based on a minimum group size of 10 travelers travelling together: if the number of travelers falls below the minimum required, a surcharge may be imposed on all passengers.
Pricing is based on JP¥ to IN₹ exchange rate as on 13th April 2019, this is subject to change according to Forex fluctuations and is subject to change at the time of actual payment.
All prices mentioned here are for Indian Nationals only (surcharge may apply to Non-Indians)
6. Flight Recommendations
As we have guests coming from different cities we request everyone to reach Narita International Airport (NRT) latest by 6:30 pm on 13th July 2019 - so we can travel together to our hotel in Tokyo. For return journey you can pick any flight as per your convenience however, please leave enough time to travel to Narita International Airport (NRT) from Kyoto via Tokyo using the Japan Rail (this is approximately a 4-hour journey involving at least 1 train transfer). For most economical options we would recommend you to look for flights to Narita International Airport (NRT) via Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.
Breakfast (10 days) are included in our pricing package. For the remaining meals as food can be expensive in Japan here are some tips for other meals:
- Coffee from a convenience store is approximately JP¥ 120, anywhere else not less that JP¥ 350.
- A cheap bowl of Ramen (in big cities) is approximately JP¥ 550-650, but these can be hard to find.
- A basic McDonald’s meal approximately JP¥ 500-600.
- Meals are approximately JP¥ 800 each. Some places have lunch sets that are approximately JP¥ 1100 range.
- On an average we would say consider Lunch JP¥ 750-800 & Dinner JP¥ 800-1000.
- Alcohol can be expensive as well, for eg. one beer is approximately JP¥ 500 in most places. And in busy and famous pub streets they may additionally charge between JP¥ 500-1000 as entry cover charge.
- So we would consider a minimum budget of JP¥ 2000 per day for food alone (i.e. approximately IN₹ 1,300 per day)
- This link has good information for Vegetarian travelers to Japan: https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/vegetarian-survival-guide-to-japan/
Although this is not included in our package, we strongly recommend travel insurance. There are different types of medical, baggage or trip cancellations insurance from the supplier or the agencies. NOTE: Insurance coverage may not cover pre-existing conditions and may have other restrictions and exclusions.
9. Booking & Cancellation policy
Tour Pricing will be collected on basis of 50% (advance booking) seat-blocking payment at the time of confirmation (or minimum 45 days prior to trip commencement) and the remaining 50% Pricing 30 Days before departure date (13th June 2019).
Cancellation done up to 45 days prior to departure date - 30% Cancellation Fee will apply; 44-30 days prior to departure date - 75% Cancellation Fee will apply; 29 days prior to departure date - 100% Cancellation Fee will apply - i.e. NO REFUND.
10. Disclaimer of Liability
#ThreeFlaneurs and Peregrine is acting as a mere agent for suppliers in selling travel-related services, or in accepting reservations or bookings for services that are not directly supplied by us (such as hotel accommodations, meals, sightseeing & museum tickets, etc.). #ThreeFlaneurs & Peregrine, shall not be responsible for any injuries, damages, or losses caused to any traveler in connection with terrorist activities, social or labor unrest, mechanical or construction failures or difficulties, diseases, local laws, climactic conditions, criminal acts or abnormal conditions or developments, or any other actions, omissions, or conditions outside our control. Traveler assumes complete and full responsibility for, and hereby releases the #ThreeFlaneurs and Peregrine from any duty of, checking and verifying any and all passport, visa, vaccination, or other entry requirements to Japan, and all safely or security conditions at such destinations, during the length of the proposed travel.