Here's a video - 01 of 02 - with highlights from our seven day Architecture Trip to Sri Lanka (from Dec, 2019).
Here's a video - 02 of 02 - with highlights from our seven day Architecture Trip to Sri Lanka (from Dec, 2019).
SRI LANKA ARCHITECTURE TRIP
14th to 20th December, 2019
This tailor-made 7-day tour of Sri Lanka takes in many of the country's highlights with a focus on the work of its most famous architect - Geoffrey Bawa - and the heritage that inspired him.
There will be time to take in ancient sites and other more traditional buildings too – both Sri Lankan vernacular and Dutch colonial. These were important influences on Bawa as he developed his famous 'Tropical Modernism' architectural style.
You’ll also experience Bawa's work first hand by visiting several projects (across scales & programmes) that he designed.
Tour highlights include:
Visit Bawa’s Colombo residence and the country's Parliament Complex~ that he designed.
Stay at a gorgeous beach-side boutique hotel in Bentota designed by Bawa on the beautiful south coast.
Visit Lunuganga, Bawa’s weekend home and lifelong project and his brother's garden that inspired his career.
Attend a talk and interact with the team at an award-winning local contemporary architecture practice - Palinda Kannangara Architects
Visit Lighthouse Galle another brilliant beach-side hotel designed by Bawa.
Explore two of Sri Lanka's magnificent World Heritage Sites - the Golden Temple of Dambulla and the Dutch Fort in Galle - that show the architectural importance of Sri Lanka since as far back as the first century BCE.
Stay at the Kandalama Hotel, one of the best examples of Bawa's skill in adapting design to suit environment.
The tour will include accommodation at some of the best hotels in Sri Lanka on Full Board Basis as per our itinerary & all transport in a private AC Luxury Coach with English-speaking local guide.
A Specialist Architecture Guide from #ThreeFlaneurs who is well-versed with Sri Lanka & its Architecture will accompany the group.
(~ Subject to availability & approval of special permission)
14th Dec to 20th Dec, 2019
7 days, 6 nights
Day 0 | Fri, 13 Dec 2019
Evening / Night flight to Colombo
DAY 01 | Sat, 14 Dec 2019 | COLOMBO : ORIENTATION
Start of Tour : Morning arrival and pick-up at Bandaranaike International Airport, followed by a General Tour Introduction, and a half-day Colombo city tour
DAY 02 | Sun, 15 Dec 2019 | COLOMBO
Explore multiple projects in the city designed by Geoffrey Bawa; studio visit of award-winning local architecture practice - Palinda Kannangara Architects
DAY 03 | Mon, 16 Dec 2019 | MATARA / GALLE^
Explore the sprawling campus of the University of Ruhuna in the southern city of Matara (designed by Geoffrey Bawa); visit a recently completed residential project by Palinda Kannangara Architects; followed by half-day self-exploration of the Galle Dutch Fort by foot ^ (here you can see some interesting adaptive re-use projects within the historic urban fabric within the fort walls)
DAY 04 | Tue, 17 Dec 2019 | GALLE / BENTOTA
Visit the iconic Lighthouse Hotel Galle (designed by Geoffrey Bawa) and explore multiple tourism-related projects designed by Geoffrey Bawa in the beautiful beach-side town of Bentota
DAY 05 | Wed, 18 Dec 2019 | BENTOTA
Attend guided tours of two of Sri Lanka's best private gardens - Lunuganga Estate & Brief Garden - in the outskirts of Bentota
DAY 06 | Thu, 19 Dec 2019 | DAMBULLA
Visit the historic Golden Temple of Dambulla before heading to spend a night at Bawa's iconic Kandalama Hotel, an truly magical property in an enchanting location.
DAY 07 | Fri, 20 Dec 2019 | COLOMBO^
Explore the iconic Unesco World Heritage Site designated - Ancient City of Sigiriya (Optional activity at additional cost)
^ Return to Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport : End of Tour
^ The services of the dedicated Specialist Design+Travel Guide(s) may not be available on these dates - however the group will be briefed with multiple to-do suggestions on the day prior to these Free Time slots.
[ Travelers opting to stay longer can cover more sights of Sri Lanka's amazing Culture triangle including visits to Sacred City of Anuradhapura, the Ancient City of Polonnaruwa and the Ancient City of Sigiriya. Kindly contact us for more suggestions.]
• 6 nights accommodation (with stays in Colombo, Galle, Bentota and Dambulla)
• Accommodation on twin sharing and Full Board Basis
• All internal transport in a private AC Luxury Coach with English-Speaking Local Guide
• Dedicated Specialist Design+Travel Guide(s) with extensive Architectural Knowledge, Design Pedagogy & Travel experience on behalf of the #ThreeFlaneurs to accompany the group at all times according to tour itinerary (^ except on days marked with Free Time slots)
Average group size 20 guests
(*minimum group size of 15 guests are required to make this trip viable)
06 - Breakfasts; 06 - Dinners at Hotel; & 06 - Lunches at Outside Local or Indian Restaurants
5-star category hotels designed by Geoffrey Bawa (in Bentota, Dambulla) and 3-star category hotels or highly-rated Airbnb properties (in Colombo, Galle)
At #ThreeFlaneurs we believe single travelers should not have to pay more to travel so our group trips are designed for shared accommodation and do not involve a single supplement. Single travelers joining group trips are paired in twin share accommodation with someone of the same sex for the duration of the trip.
• Return international air tickets from source to Bandaranaike International Airport
• Sri Lankan Visa (find more information about this here - www.eta.gov.lk )
• International Travel insurance
• Any Transaction / VAT / GST / Remittance charges
• Additional entry tickets to sights as per itinerary beyond the ones mentioned above
• Meals not mentioned above (for e.g. Breakfast on Day 01; Lunch & Dinner on Day 07 are not included)
• Any expense of personal nature i.e. Tips, Portages, Mineral Water, Laundry, Telephone Bills, etc.
• Early hotel check-in & late check-out
• Camera & video permits
• Optional exploration of the Ancient City of Sigiriya
• Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
While it is our intention to adhere to the route described above, there is a certain amount of flexibility built into the itinerary and on occasion it may be necessary, or desirable to make alterations. The itinerary is brief, as we never know exactly where our journey will take us. Due to our style of travel and the regions we visit, travel can be unpredictable.
A more detailed day-by-day itinerary document highlights the sights to be covered on each day will be shared one week prior to the trip. Additionally, any travel times listed are approximations only and subject to vary due to local circumstances.
The Itinerary can be rescheduled by #ThreeFlaneurs & Peregrine for smooth execution of the trip. Due to unforeseen circumstances such as social or labor unrest, mechanical or construction failures or difficulties, diseases, local laws, climactic conditions, criminal acts or abnormal conditions or developments outside our control, the Tours/Sightseeing can be altered. No refund will be provided in such cases.
* Pricing is based on US$ to IN₹ exchange rate as of August 2019, this is subject to change according to Forex fluctuations and is subject to change at the time of actual payment.
Specialist Design+Travel Guide:
• Sahil Latheef is a Charles Correa Gold medalist and a highly qualified architect who has been engaged with architectural academia for over 10 years at various schools (both within India and Internationally). He has worked on several award-winning projects for architectural practices in Doha, London, Mumbai and Singapore before moving to Dubai where he is currently based.
Besides professionally practicing architecture Sahil teaches at the Architecture department, Amity University, Dubai Academic City and is also part of several on going research projects in the region. He has extensively traveled around the world to study architecture and to lead design tours.
Number of Specialist Design+Travel Guides will depend on actual group size at time of travel